Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Thread Like Summary
Artaman
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Antonio Scapini
Antonio Scapini
Hi guys, here something I think we all could find interesting.

Some time ago I did a thread about the analysys of the SS-Totenkopfring:
TK ring microanalysys

Now, after some more months, I have to say that I must change some parts of that research since I checked better the rings and I found they were not die struck, but cast.
At the beginning I focused mainly on some sharp details, but after checking the whole ring signs are unquestionable. Sharps details in the recesses of the ring are found only when there were an hand finish. All the areas that in a die struck piece should be sharp and smooth, in TK rings are not.

I think pictures will explain much more better than words what I mean.

And considering they were cast, not it is possible to explain why there are sometimes air bubbles on the band, and why the eyes sockets of the skull show often peeling.
In this case the circle is closed and all perfectly matches.
Liked Replies
by Antonio Scapini
Antonio Scapini
Ok, again lots of words and no one explaining the pictures you have under your eyes.
No one answered to my questions.
Also you don't read what I wrote, so this discussion is really totally useless.
I'm not going to answer anymore, since seems no one is interested to see scientific evidences, but prefere put the head under the sand. This discussion is from the beginning a one-way.

I tryed with my hands to do these rings, and almost all what you wrote is wrong. Wrong about the dies, wrong about the time, wrong about the process...
Anyway if you are happy with your theory without any evidences, that's fine for me. When you'll find one please, give a me call, until then sorry, but I prefere to not talk about the sex of the angels as we do here.

Originally Posted by hapur
About story of cast heads on TK rings. If there really are such signsin the eyes this can be result of soldering, as head will get most of heat during soldering. I have noticed that often when soldering head is close to melting temp, because I need to place it in correct position, I keep flame on it longer time, sometimes I need to resolder it because it is not straight. And it is very easy to overheat, just matter of seconds. Not often but there are cases when I need to replace head just because it is overheated and semi melted. And there you go, it looks like cast. Arround forehead and other outside surfaces I can go with sandpaper and grind off all defects, inside eyes - I do not care. Results are the same - inside eyes there are signs similar to casting signs smile

Last example about the skulls:
Skulls were partially empty and were filled with soldering metal that is not so hot to take the silver close to a melting point. This is known even from a newbie that approach jewelling from 3 days.
Totally different from what you say. And I can prove what I say. But of course you're not interested, since skulls were soldered near their melting point on a die struck ring.

Originally Posted by hapur
I'm a bit busy now so I do not much time to play around. I think that at such magnification (x900) on any, even polished surface you will see some kind of defects.

Just an example of what I just said: thanks for not reading what I wrote an the pictures I posted.

Ok, rings were die struck and skulls soldered as Hapur said. Case closed gents, sorry for posting here some useless pictures and infos.
1 member likes this
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,967 SS Bayonets
1,762,198 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,180 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Latest New Posts
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/19/2024 09:03 PM
Frog question.
by ed773 - 04/19/2024 06:57 PM
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
HR on Ratisbons auction
by Stephen - 04/19/2024 06:59 AM
Study and learning materials
by Stephen - 04/18/2024 07:41 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,038
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
9 members (C. Wetzel-20609, ed773, Texasuberalles, seany, Vern, Documentalist, sellick8302@rogers.com, Stephen, den70), 882 guests, and 153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod