A key point here is to scrutinize any story or grouping, even if everything is authentic! One example I will use here is still available! The large militaria site The Ruptured Duck is currently selling a grouping that is named to SS General Dr. Werner Best, the grouping is said to come from a Danish Policeman who confiscated the items. In the grouping is *supposedly* Dr. Werner Best's original Totenkopfring (Honor Ring). However, when I did some digging, I found out that Dr. Best was awarded his ring in 1934, or even possibly 1933, and the ring offered on the site is a 1941 dated ring, FAR too late of a date to be Best's. After posting about this discovery on the WAF, I found out that the ring was originally sold by Kai Winkler in 2009, by itself, and not part of any grouping, for just under 3500 Euro, and was not named to Werner Best. However, the ring resurfaced in 2016 when Hermann Historica auctioned off the ring, now suddenly together with this grouping and named to Werner Best for significantly more than the original 3500. I contacted Bill, the owner of the site and presented what I had found, and he had the ring certified by DB, who saw the grouping with the ring and certified it as a "Re-issued Honor Ring to Doctor Werner Best".

If the ring was a reissue, we would see the original award date, so if it was the ring of Dr. Best, it would be a 40's style ring with a 33 or 34 date on the inside, not an entirely new date. The entire grouping is currently for sale on the Ruptured Duck site for $26,750.00 USD. Long story short: ALWAYS DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND DUE DILIGENCE. I had a friend who asked me for advice on if I believed the ring was original, and if it belonged to Werner Best as he was interested in buying it, and when I showed him what I found he was shocked. I like to think I saved him a significant amount of money there.

https://www.therupturedduck.com/pro...-wow?_pos=2&_sid=4b7cbba07&_ss=r

Best regards,
Sarcasmos