Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Army, Navy, and Luftwaffe Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Overslept a development??? Luftbud 04/16/2024 01:03 AM
my thought. It's not just the German items that have gone insane . US military items have gone through the roof also. Doesn't matter it ww2, civil war, nam or other periods it's just gone wild. The bottom ;line here is greed dealers know they will get someone that will come along and spend there money on the items. Me I don't collect anylonger, I refuse to pay these stupid prices. I rather take my money and spend it on books( good reference books). This is my view.
4 114 Read More
Re: Overslept a development??? wotan 04/15/2024 11:06 PM
Thank you for your thoughts and contributions. In may there will be some shows and auctions here and I will observe how all develops. I am especially interested how the auction market develops as there seem to come a lot of interesting items to be offered.
There might be a connex with the Australian changes, I have heard this too.
But, to come back to my first post here, due to my experiences there are enough navies in much better conditio and much lower prices than the two ones mentioned.
Regards,
4 114 Read More
Re: Overslept a development??? BretVanSant 04/15/2024 08:18 PM
What I see is junk edged weapons priced at 600$ and up. At our last show I had dozens of people asking about pricing and if I thought dealers were inflating prices by a crazy amount. Yeah 100% they are but some of the stuff seems to be selling. The stuff I wouldn't even consider for parts are moving. It will always blow me away that things like SS daggers out price minty Postal daggers. That is however a different topic. I wouldn't patronize Weirze ( my personal opinion)
Bret Van Sant
4 114 Read More
Re: Overslept a development??? sellick8302@rogers.com 04/15/2024 08:12 PM
Hi Wotan I have also noticed an increase in Naval daggers but in good examples Heer daggers have increased of course both SA and NSKK to include decent RZM examples I was looking for a decent Heer artillery officer visor at SOS and a good one could NOT be found for under $1000 I acqured a beautiful example last month at a local Toronto show for $475 USDa decent heer artillery officer's tunic at SOS was $1500 I know that a flood of good German material has cme to market ahead of the total ban in Australia I also know that collectors down under paid a heavy premium for their merchandise comparatively speaking....... are these mediocre daggers realizing these prices..............???? used to be that condition sold cheers Ryan
4 114 Read More
European Edged Weapons Jump to new posts
Re: Bulgarian Brannik youth knife - real? wotan 04/15/2024 06:46 PM
In the 100th Herman Historica auction there is offered an original, wonderful conditioned Branik knife.
https://www.hermann-historica.de/de/auctions/lot/id/1045237
Pics of the original one:

Regards,
8 665 Read More
Hunting, Forestry, and Shooting Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target) Mikee 04/15/2024 06:11 PM
Hey Wetzel,

Not a biggie at all we are here to enjoy, have fun and learn. Our targets show Capital Hirsch Red Deer. I have seen the crowns so large and big as a bowl lined with silver for decoration and prizes. Also I have seen them made of that type of cardboard.Best!
21 505 Read More
Re: Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target) C. Wetzel-20609 04/15/2024 04:46 PM
ed773 you were correct.

Thanks to Mikee and wotan for the correction. I am no deer hunter and used copy and paste from two "Stag Red Deer kill target" sites for the information I found late last night.

I have hunted small game many years ago with small arms and Bear Archery recurve bows.

Best regards, Calvin
21 505 Read More
Overslept a development??? wotan 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Dear fellow collectors, lately I had the feeling I have overslept a development. A development in prices. When I looked into the updates of the Weitze site I could not believe what I saw:
https://www.weitze.net/militaria/79/Kriegsmarine_Dolch_fuer_Offiziere__435979.html perhaps average EICKHORN navy dagger with multiple broken grip and totally frayed portepee for 1600 EUR and
https://www.weitze.net/militaria/55/Kriegsmarine_Dolch_fuer_Offiziere__462855.html a HOELLER with hammere scabbard but imho deeply rusted blade for 1950 EUR???? I know that prices are always a point of view and ask three collectors about them you will get four different answers but this dvelopment in a very short time seems for me..... Up to now a nice "common" navy did cost about 800.- to 900.- EUR or $$ and mostly was left alone.

In the last ratisbons auction there were a lot of edged weapons, obviously a colletion and parts of other collections were auctioned and the auction run quite well in my eyes although some colllectors started to hesitate because of the high fees there.

Now I see at Herman Historica for 10th may another auction with a lot of different good looking edged weapons, obviously (due to the certain items) another collection(s). The starting prices seem to be quite moderate and there seem to be some interesting pieces (eg. a doubtless original ALCOSO water protection police dagger).Obviously several collections were/are auctioned this year, I personally wonder about the reason.

If there area lot of edged weapons on the market the prices normally go down but not now (see Weitze).
I would like to know how do you feel, observe or think about the certain situation?
Regards
4 114 Read More
Re: Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target) wotan 04/15/2024 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Mikee
Wetzel,

I would have to respectfully slightly disagree, If you are talking Red Deer or any deer species for that matter, the female deer will not normally have antlers only the male. The exception being female Reindeers. I do agree that the Heart and double Lung shot are the best shot to take, but it depends on the angle of the shot. In your Target it looks like his shot just missed it's mark, but was the best shot over all so he wins. Would it have killed, certainly and eventually. Best!

Mikee is correct, either with roe deer (Rehwild) nor red deer (Rotwild) or fallow deer (Damwild) the female part has antlers. You do see this very well in your Schuetzenscheibe of "1.Gruppe Scharfschützenkompanie Lambsdorf" where a roe deer - deer and a roe deer - hind is shown.
Regards,
21 505 Read More
Re: Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target) Mikee 04/15/2024 04:36 AM
Wetzel,

I would have to respectfully slightly disagree, If you are talking Red Deer or any deer species for that matter, the female deer will not normally have antlers only the male. The exception being female Reindeers. I do agree that the Heart and double Lung shot are the best shot to take, but it depends on the angle of the shot. In your Target it looks like his shot just missed it's mark, but was the best shot over all so he wins. Would it have killed, certainly and eventually. Best!
21 505 Read More
Re: Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target) C. Wetzel-20609 04/15/2024 02:23 AM
A stag is a male deer, typically of the red deer species, that has antlers. The antlers of a stag are typically larger and more branched than those of a female deer, known as a hind. Stags shed their antlers annually and grow a new set the following year. The vital organs of a red stag are located in the chest cavity, which is protected by the ribcage. The heart and lungs are the primary targets for a clean kill, as a shot to either of these organs will result in rapid blood loss and death. The spine and brain are also effective targets, but they are smaller and more difficult to hit.

I believe the Schutzenscheibe winner Jochen Haut did score a kill shot. His winning shot is circled in black ink to the left of his surname Haut on the front of the target and, his full name is on the back of the target.

C. J. W.-20609
21 505 Read More
Re: Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target) ed773 04/14/2024 11:00 PM
Great target!! A lot of holes for no kill shot though.
21 505 Read More
Re: Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target) C. Wetzel-20609 04/14/2024 10:21 PM
Here are 3 photos I took today of my Schutzenscheibe. Note that this example is the least expensive cardboard target. I tried to get a photo of the numbers & names written in pencil on the back of the target. Note that there are 13 names written on the back of the target and 13 holes in the target with 1 hole on the outside edge.

I have not seen another all-cardboard target from the WW2 period, except for one mounted on a large square piece of wood with German writing on the bottom of the wood from 1943.

I think you must see the back of a target and compare to other similar targets. If the seller does not show the back, the buyer is at a disadvantage.

Some wood backed targets have a narrow piece of wood on the back. Some old targets have old hardware or the mark where the old hardware was. Some old targets will have replaced hardware.

Reproductions of Historical Schutzenscheiben are offered on the German eBay site and noted as reproductions. The backs of the reproduction Schutzenscheiben on the German eBay site are not shown.

C. J. W.-20609
21 505 Read More
Japanese Militaria Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Japanese Dagger Mikee 04/14/2024 10:17 PM
Hey Joe,

Sorry about that. It looks WWll.I will try and get some pics. Thank you
2 79 Read More
Re: Japanese Dagger derjager 04/14/2024 07:00 PM
Imperial? WWII?
Tanto? Kaiken?
2 79 Read More
Other Hobbies and Collections, like sports cars, movies, music,etc Jump to new posts
Re: CLAY TOBACCO PIPES C. Wetzel-20609 04/14/2024 06:25 PM
Correction: Rouletting around the top of the pipe bowl was used up until about 1700 NOT 1800. See clay tobacco pipe chart and see 2nd photo of 17th & early 18th century pipes. A few late 19th century pipes may be found with rouletting, but these pipes are clearly a 19th century type.

Research notes: All pipes can be found in context date (buried in midden with dated rubbish) up to 60+ years after manufacture date. See clay tobacco pipe chart for context & mfg. dates for the North Carolina pipe.

Pipes marked with country of origin dug in the U. S. are 1891 or later, the addition of "made in" was required in 1919.

Most of the R. Tippet pipes found with "R TIP PET" in cartouche, with "R T" Incuse on the back of bowl were manufactured from about 1680 to 1720 and are found on Native American Indian sites in context dated to about 1700 to 1740. 3 generations of Robert Tippet made pipes with Robert Tippet II probably making the most. Robert Tippet I (1660-1678); Robert Tippet II (1678-1713); Robert Tippet III (1713-1720) years of manufacture for 3 generations of R. Tippet pipes.

Henry Hoar (1669-1739) was a Bristol pipe maker who took over the Moulds of R. Tippet. Henry Hoar's pipes are marked with "H. H." Incuse ("to hammer in" from Latin) on the back of the bowl.

C. J. W.-20609
12 323 Read More
Japanese Dagger Mikee 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
How much are Japanese daggers in excellent condition selling for, has tassels and a bag? I found one but don't know how much to offer. Thank you.
2 79 Read More
Re: Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target) Mikee 04/14/2024 07:01 AM
Wetzel,

Awesome find!
21 505 Read More
Other Hobbies and Collections, like sports cars, movies, music,etc Jump to new posts
Re: CLAY TOBACCO PIPES Mikee 04/14/2024 06:45 AM
Wetzel,

Wow, sounds like a very nice pipe. Would enjoyed seeing it.
12 323 Read More
Re: CLAY TOBACCO PIPES C. Wetzel-20609 04/14/2024 05:46 AM
Mikee, I did own a very nice antique, carved Meerschaum pipe, amber mouthpiece with the case. The pipe was a carving of a 19-century sailor with a straw hat sitting with a rope. I got the pipe from Van.

This nice old lady named Van had a small antique shop in Mountain View, Wayne, N. J.

Her husband, Joe passed away and she was selling many of the things they had collected together. The clay elbow tobacco pipes marked "Van" and "N. Y.- PA." came from Van who also had a table at the PAL flea market in Wayne, N. J. after she sold the store. I still have things from Van's store but not the Meerschaum pipe.

C. Wetzel-20609
12 323 Read More
Re: Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target) C. Wetzel-20609 04/14/2024 05:08 AM
I found this about Leutnant Schellhammer:

Leutnant Schellhammer war ein Offizier in der Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 5 mit dem Friedensstandort in Villingen/Schwarzwald. Diese Einheit wurde später in Panzerjäger-Abteilung 5 umbenannt12. Hier sind einige Informationen über die Abteilung:

Aufstellung: Die Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 5 wurde am 15. Oktober 1935 gegründet.
Kommandeure:
Maj. Ernst Becht (ab 1. Oktober 1935)
Maj. Rüdiger von Schuler (ab 1. Oktober 1937)
Maj. Helmet Golden (ab 1. August 1938)1.
Wenn Sie weitere Informationen über diese Einheit suchen, könnte es interessant sein, das Buch “Die Geschichte der Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 5 vom 15. Okt. 1935 bis 31. Dez. 1937” zu finden, das während der Zeit von Meinrad von Lauchert dort veröffentlicht wurde1. Leider habe ich keine Kopie dieses Buches gefunden, aber vielleicht gibt es Archive oder andere Quellen, die Ihnen weiterhelfen können.

Bitte beachten Sie, dass dies eine historische Einheit ist, und ich empfehle, weitere Forschungen durchzuführen, um mehr über ihre Geschichte und die Offiziere zu erfahren, die dort gedient haben.
21 505 Read More
Re: CLAY TOBACCO PIPES Mikee 04/14/2024 04:44 AM
Wetzel,

Do you collect Meerschaum pipes? I know how they are made, the different styles and categories but that's about it. Most are not maker marked so do you go by styles and design to know who made them or at least the country of origin? If you have some, would enjoy seeing them. I have a few, do you mind if I post them here?
12 323 Read More
Re: Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target) Mikee 04/14/2024 03:34 AM
Wetzel,

They can be expensive. Yes Krico is a gun manufacturer. I have used them before. All the best!
21 505 Read More
Re: Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target) C. Wetzel-20609 04/14/2024 02:14 AM
Thanks for posting the photos, Mikee.

Correction: My 1944 Schutzenscheibe was listed on the German eBay site for 59,99 Euros ($63.84 USD) or best offer not 55 Euros ($58.53 USD) or best offer. "Mr. K." bought my 1944 Schutzenscheibe for best offer.

I think the 1938 Ehrenscheibe was 1st listed for about $450.00 on the popular auction site and then the U. S. seller dropped the price twice over about 2 months to $275.00 + $25.00 S+H for a total of $300.00.

Similar Ehrenscheiben with the Renault R T-17 tank target scene range from about $300.00 to $525.00 USD.

Sellers of targets on the U. S. popular auction site are asking for more money than the German site. The problem is the German sellers don't want to ship to the U.S.A.

Maybe they want to keep their Alte Schutzenscheiben in Germany.

PS I believe the maker's mark on the back of the 1938 Ehrenscheibe is KRICO. Krico is the brand name of the German firm of Krieqeskorte GmbH. The company has a history dating back to 1878.

C. J. W.-20609
21 505 Read More
Re: Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target) Mikee 04/14/2024 12:31 AM
Infantry Panzer Jager Target
21 505 Read More
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,521 SS Bayonets
1,761,996 Teno Insignia Set
1,130,953 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Small pennant question.
by Dutchman - 04/07/2024 08:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Overslept a development???
by Luftbud - 04/16/2024 01:03 AM
Bulgarian Brannik youth knife - real?
by wotan - 04/15/2024 06:46 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 10:17 PM
CLAY TOBACCO PIPES
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/14/2024 06:25 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,667
Posts329,017
Members7,516
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
16 members (Don Scowen, Jonesy, Stephen, Ric Ferrari, stingray, Nietzsche, den70, Dave, BretVanSant, sellick8302@rogers.com, atis, ANTIK-1933, Documentalist, Evgeniy, benten, ojje), 424 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod