-

well the green can be good! It's telling you what is in the alloy! WHY is it when you wear a ring marked 835 all day and night into the next few your finger will be fine,,,and why with other with same mark 835 will turn your finger blackish or greenish after a days wear?!?

I don't know enough to say for sure but - IF something is stamped 800 on it what is the other metals its 'alloyed' with to make up the rest of the base content.. Can any metal be added in??..

And please,,anyone that knows again please jump in and correct and or inform us to understand... I know Hapur known,,and 'Ed' the watchmaker,, Vern too, but they're busy...

- So, I take it that the tests are to see what the other metals are.. Silver you can add copper to that I know,,,,but can you add lets say zinc? Iron? does it have to stay with nonferrous? [not magnetic] .. - * Benten thanks for posting this. Its important and we should know a little at least about it..
It says 19th century but wouldn't doubt if it was known/testing, etc. in the 1700s!