I know you didn't say "post War "enhancements" were alright" jds (wish I knew your fist name instead of your initials)
But we can't make excuses for rebuilds and white wash all of them as "acceptable" or untouched ..they are and always will be rebuilds.
Now ..here's where the money comes in. ---If I was ever going to spend 1-2-or3K on a Rifle ..you can bet your "bippee" that I'll dissect,examine,taste, sniff, analyze, and criticize in minute detail every part of that Weapon (in Due Form) before I'd buy it. I'd want to be 100% sure that someone hadn't "created" the matching weapon post war.
That's one reason I never bought a Garand Sniper ..even the CMP versions worry me. Collectors these days tend to be skeptics ..can ya blame 'em ? Like everything else in this Hobby , many things have been played with and many "doctored" ..it goes without saying that Today we have to sort through & research everything looking for that one Jewel to add to our Collection. Face value doesn't work anymore ..now we rely on Forensic Science.
JDS..You didn't answer my question regarding putting a mint rebuilt '03 on a Table next to an "all matching textbook" mint '03 ,(both with the same price) which one do you think the Collectors would pay attention to and probably buy first ?
The Books and experts might say a rebuilt doesn't matter ...to a Collector , it matters ...in his Heart he'll always know it's a rebuilt.