Now I'm wondering if some of my remarks have been taken the wron way.

I have not suggested that faked items or even post war collector enhancements are alright. Actually I have been trying to stress just the opposite.

My main point, which I think has been acknowledged, is that the most desirable items are not always in factory condition. My secondary point has been just because an item appears to be in factory condition does not always mean that it is...so be careful when you pluck down 3k for a Garand if you are thinking that every part of it left the factory that way...there really is no way of knowing. On the other hand if you are happy with it being consistant with factory condition then you are getting what you want.

As to the 03 in question, I have no reason to suspect that it is anything other than a 100% as goverment re-built 03. The lack of stampings on the wood may give an indication of where and when the rifle was re-built as there is some excellent research that has been published and posted on these.

As to the Holter's General tunic up-grade, we both know that it was not always practical or even possible to send tunics back to the original tailor for repair and up-grade. Determining era of insigina attachement can be very much a "Kentucky windage" kind of drill. Although not related to anything on this thread, I will say that there were many tailors whose work was as good or better than Holters..even if Holters had the PR battle licked.