quote:
Fred,
So what you are saying is that the pommel with the monogram is fake and otherwise the dagger is good. Did I understand you correctly?
P.S. all post ww II soviet daggers were made by by only one manufacturer in Zlatoust.

Lwov,
On April 19th you said: �Daggers were made by various makers, including private order daggers . Buy the way dagger's fittings might have been made by a third party. Yes, the monogram is different, I would say totally different, and they could not have been the same. So how this comparison help us?�

There are German made Imperial Russian swords, so why not?

Now you say: �P.S. all post ww II soviet daggers were made by by only one manufacturer in Zlatoust.�

Which is it??? Are Soviet daggers only from Zlatoust, and this is a converted Russian Federation dagger?

You now ask: �So what you are saying is that the pommel with the monogram is fake and otherwise the dagger is good. Did I understand you correctly?�

I said: �Having said all that: Late Soviet blades are past my cutoff point. But if someone says to me that Hackman in Finland made new production daggers for the post WW II Russian Navy I would be OK with that. It seems reasonable, and I have no information to the contrary. So my problem is not with what is below the pommel cap. But with the pommel cap itself. That is the result of an attempt to somehow make this an Imperial era dagger, which it is not.

I don�t claim any expertise with late Soviet blades. The Soviet saber posted below is near my cutoff point. I know that the pommel is a fake, or an altered original. As for the rest of the dagger: Quite frankly I don�t know (or really care). If it has fake major components, as far as I'm concerned it�s just another fake. What exactly is the point you are trying to make, and does that answer your question?
Fred

Soviet_Shashka.jpg (38.41 KB, 276 downloads)