In the real world most of us don't know. But we look at the evidence presented and the person behind it and we take a position upon where we feel the "weight" of the evidence lays. Now I don't know either if this sword is FAKE or not. But from the 10 pages presented in this thread, with interesting and detailed information I came to my conclusion on what I believe. Juries do this every day in America. Wink
So this is a matter of not one but MAYBE two
items that maybe questionable, and maybe not. However as far as being WHO's the expert on reproductions...I think any jury would accept Mr. Frederick J. Stevens as such an individual. His books although out of print, sell for more than any other 3rd reich edged weapons book that I am aware of, to this very day. And why? Cause they deal with only one BIG problem in this business/hobby...REPRODUCTIONS!
Any serious dagger collector will have both his original 1976 edition and the 1981 revised edition. And we are ALL looking forward to the new edition.
Tom Johnson wrote the preface in both editions of this fine book that as mentioned earlier, it has saved collectors an incalculable ammount of money over the years. The following is a quote from the 1st edition by Thomas Johnson. "In sum, an erudite reference devoted SOLELY to the subject of reproduction Third Reich edged weapons is long overdue, and, in my opinion, my good friend, Fred Stevens is the most qualified individual on either side of the Atlantic to author such a text. This reference, which has been compiled over the past several years should more than fill the void in this all-important area." Thomas M. Johnson, LTC, US Army.
So very simply put and without any malice toward no one. I looked at the evidence and behavior of both sides of the issue..I must also state that I have not ever spoken to either Mr. Stevens or Mr. Gotlieb, and I came to MY conclusion on what I would do if it was my sword and dagger. If Mr. Stevens says there are "issues" with an item, I would not want it in my collection. Coupled with the rather "unusual" behavior of the seller...even more so.
I can have an opinon on this issue, can't I? But we are not talking about a 1K SA dagger here...but
BIG MONEY...and, again..in only my opinion..that's the ROOT of ALL EVIL!
I do hope everything will be resolved and all will be satisfied and made whole.
I appove of this message and it was not intended to insult, injure or damage any person or thing, living or dead. Smile

-wagner-