I still refer to my copy of Reproduction Recognition but I agree an update is long overdue. I certainly hope that Craig will forward the photos to Fred that I let him take of the repro examples I acquired when I purchased them as part of a complete collection years ago.

I also think something else needs to be said here:
"An accountability number (from 0 to 200) is stamped on the bottom of the lower crossguard." "Only two hundred of these daggers were awarded and each is serial numbered on the bottom of the lower crossguard."
The two statements appear on Page 54 of Collecting The Edged Weapons Of The Third Reich Volume 1 by Tom Johnson published in 1975 and of course are in reference to to SS daggers with the Himmler etch.
We of course now know these statements to be patently false. I'm not citing this to belittle Tom in any way and I have a great deal of respect for him as an author and a person.
This is the same volume that the sword that's been under discussion is pictured sans scabbard.I am wondering if this sword were to be examined by some of the recognized experts in this hobby if additional information about it might be forthcoming based upon what is known today.
I would suggest that the current owner consider bring the sword to this years MAX for just that type of examination. I did this myself a few years back with a dagger that had a non-typical makers logo on it. It was clobbered by a couple of "experts" right here on GDC when I posted it for comments. Many of the experts we all know and respect personally examined it at the MAX and pronounced it a valid dagger and logo.
Jim