Hi RedBaron,

I have an observation which I anticipate that you might relate to, ourselves having similar technical backgrounds:

I would fully expect, in the business of weapons manufcature, or etching as a sub-contracting business with a weapons manufacturer, that the Lettering Artists preparing blade inscriptions would have been told what range of borders and end terminals could be used. Also what type styles and lettering font variations preferred by the company would be allowed.

All the visible "artistic" features that were preferred in that particular establishment - it would be be determined as the �House style�. There would be some variations permitted, in the concept of �artistic interpretation�, but generally speaking they would be consistent within a range of accepted variations.

I submit, therefore, that if a client placed an order with a company for a "presentation" piece, then aspects of the presentation inscription would be discussed and put into process - i.e. penned for the approval of the customer.

A facsimile of the inscription would be prepared and presented to the intending purchaser for "proofing", just like when you order some printing - you have a proof for checking. (I'm talking professional standards here, not the dyslexic outputs of people using digital printers in stationery stores).

I respectfully submit, in addition to the "House style" - that in presenting the pre-etch proof of the intended inscription - that technical, grammatical, and artistic flaws in the inscription would have been identified at this stage, and the errors corrected.

It seems that such a basic level of quality control was not evident in the creation of the Wolf Sword etching (assuming you believe that the Wolf Sword etching is authentic).