This is a wonderful thread. For those who have proclaimed the death of GDC, the proof is in the pudding. This is a factual, informed, sometimes heated discussion, but overall conducted with courtesy and a fine example for others.

I am particularly interested in the discussion of sript and lettering evolution in the NS period in Germany, an issue discussed at some length here: http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6393090285/m/7410038334/p/1

At least two things are clear, it seems to me.

1. Even after the Martin Bormann edict regarding Fraktur, all lettering styles and typefaces known at the time co-existed until the end of the war, and, often, the engraver took artistic freedoms in his work. In a different thread I have shown that engraving machines also existed in germany durng the period.

2. Degrees of skill and craftsmanship from near perfection to borderline sloppy also coexisted and depended on the engraver/jeweler selected, budget, period of the war and materials available, priorities, etc. I have to agree with Craig that an unduly romantic view of "German craftsmanship" and skill often prevails in our hobby and often results in pieces with perceived flaws being instantly written off as fakes, post-war etc.