Rob, That would explain perhaps some of the circumstances. However, as I will explain, I have considerable doubts. Also please understand that I have no desire to cause you any more problems. You have been through quite a bit in the last few days that would be an unpleasant experience for anyone.

I don�t have the information that I assume was furnished to you when you purchased the dagger. But, in the brief time before the image was pulled, I saw what looked like a very attractive dagger made to possibly prewar standards - being a 1st model with an etched blued panel blade enhanced by gold plating. With the etching commemorating the 84th kill from a Luftwaffe officer pilot who later achieved 100 kills, which is a remarkable wartime achievement. If you have period photographs (preferably detailed) and documentation showing the presentation of this 1st model dagger by his comrades you can disregard my concerns which are listed below.

I also collect German combat arms (rifles, pistols, bayonets etc.). Because of my background, and without going into the details of the dagger�s construction, I have some issues which I think are relevant.

1) Late in the war daggers were not permitted to be carried and sidearms were to be pistols. 2) Luftwaffe regulations did not permit officers to carry the 1st model dagger which was restricted to enlisted Luftwaffe ground personnel.

In June of 1944 Allied forces were in Europe and bombing activity significantly increased both strategically and tactically. This had a significant impact on the production of war material which is reflected in the quantity and quality of German arms from that period. JR mentioned was that the British had taken him captive along with his ME 109. When was that?

In 1944, but especially after the invasion in June, Solingen itself was directly affected. While some makers were relatively untouched. Others suffered losses of production from as much as 25%, 40%, up to 70%. By January of 1945 all production was halted with factories destroyed or damaged, the transportation system disrupted, and a multitude of other problems (not the least of which is that Germany itself was about to be invaded.)

So I have to ask myself: The dagger had to be made between the time of the 84th and 100th kill. Otherwise I think it would commemorate his 100th kill. So I�m having a real problem understanding with all that was going on - how the maker found the resources to make such a fine quality EM (?) dagger later in 1944. Much worse IMO than having a piece called into question. Is discovering that a highly valued acquisition is a counterfeit.

So depending on the documentation that you have, if it�s not adequate perhaps Craig or someone else can provide some answers. You have already had some unpleasant experiences and certainly don�t need any additional ones. FP