Fred: All I know is that if I ressurected General Wolfe from the dead, videotaped him holding the sword and saying that it's the sword he got during the war, and got a DNA sample which matched the DNA on the grip of the sword, you'd say I'd fabricated the whole event.

In closing, I don't know why you are so upset about this thread. I did start it to illicit discussion from all quadrants, because you had cast a cloud over the piece, and I was determined to see that cloud lifted (which it has been). The only reason your reputation is harmed is because you insist upon continuing along a line of reasoning that has been shown ot be severely lacking. Admitting that you are wrong is not a shameful thing to do.

Gaspare - you should't find my comment insulting at all. I can say with no shame that I have NEVER had a piece with this much provenance. Sure, I've bought very high-end pieces directly from the living veterans or their families, but I have NEVER had a "First Hand" account of a piece from the original owner. I'd say that my statement is correct still - that 99% of collectors here are in a similar boat than I am. Hey - if you have a piece with more provenance, good for you - the comment then doesn't apply to you.

Craig Gottlieb
Founder, German Daggers Dot Com
www.cgmauctions.com