Rob NL, Thank you very much for posting the images of one of the areas under discussion. If you wish you can send me the full size images and I will resize them as needed. My email is at the bottom.

In the meantime I think your second image which is a little clearer will probably be sufficient for the moment. I�m not sure from your statement if the pictures you posted came with the original period documentation, or are they ones that you have taken yourself? Or did they come with the sword as part of a package presenting it? In any case - it seems to me that more than just a simple rip in the leather as was described is involved.

The images: My first image is just an enlargement. With the second image to the left it shows a split or piece missing in the wood with the red arrows showing one side of the break. And the green arrow showing a trough or valley between the two sides of the break. The trough itself seems to be partially filled in with shoe polish (?) or some other kind of filler. In the middle it looks like perhaps a small chip of wood is missing between the arrows. To the right I also saw what might be another split starting which is illustrated by some more arrows. I could be reading too much into the middle and right side of the image. But with the damage to the left I doubt that I will be changing my opinion in the immediate future.

I also think that some clarification of the sword�s chronology might be in order. The 1968 correspondence between General Wolf and Mr. Bayliss indicates it was in Mr. Bayliss�s possession at that time. But I don�t recall seeing just when he first obtained it. Apparently the first known owner was a Dr. Heinz Von Hungen who had it for a long time. Then it was Dick Deeter who had acquired it from the doctor. And then Mr. Arthur Grigg who was offering it for sale. It was also Mr. Grigg who described the sword�s condition at that time. There does not seem to be an indication as to the time Mr. Grigg had it up for sale. When he sold it, or if there were any intervening owners. That information may be in the documents you have and I may have missed it (?). But that is my understanding at the moment. Most Respectfully, FP

[email protected]

grip-image-1.jpg (82.03 KB, 549 downloads)