Craig, Pointless? Perhaps, but not from my perspective when I first saw what looked to me in the images like nickel silver fittings. If I�m wrong and have misinterpreted them then I�m wrong. If not: Flag 1. The leather hanger (or lack of it in the documentation) is Flag 2. And no mention in the documentation of any damage to the handle Flag 3.

What the above suggests to me is that sometime between the time Dick Deeter had the sword and the way it is now is that someone has altered it using original period parts. No amount of �spin� or rationalization is going to change the fact that the sword as it sits now does not match the documentation.

I did not bring this discussion to the forum. It was brought here for reasons best known to yourself and perhaps Rob NL - although he came in late and I don�t know if it was his original intention to become a participant.

I don�t have any money or collecting effort wrapped up in defending the sword and my interest is more intellectual. In that context let me ask this: What proof is there that the sword has not been altered??

PS to Rob NL: Perhaps you are confusing the late Anthony Carter who was a friend of mine with Mr. Stephens? I have never met Mr. Stephens, and don�t know him personally, although I am aware of him mostly through his books. FP