Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
DASH Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hello - I have 2 items to share which I believe are unusual and may be of interest. I would like to start by saying that both pieces were purchased on/with daggers in the late 50's/early 60's from private (not dealer/collector) sources. They may not be factory, but I am certain that they are definately 3rd Reich period. Russ (Ruski) has agreed to upload the pictures for me, and they will follow shortly. Thanks Russ!

The first is an unusual RAD Sr. hanger. I purchased an E. Pack RAD Sr. dagger with 2 hangers: the normal style, and the plain one pictured. It is unmarked except for the D.R.G.M. on the clips, and "LP By" stamped on the reverse. It is obviously well used.

The second item is a standard short Luftwaffe portepee, in rather worn condition. It was purchased on a 2nd model Luftwaffe dagger. It is apparent that it started life as a normal Luftwaffe portepee. The unusual thing is that the silver ball portion has an overlay attached. The overlay consists of alternating double twisted carmen (1 row) and double twisted gold (2 rows) which completely covers the ball portion. This overlay is attached (glued?) under the bottom edge of the twisted silver crown cord, and appears to be "cinched" at the bottom with a hidden drawstring. It is not glued to the ball and is moveable. When parted on the side, it reveals a pristeen silver ball beneath. This leads me to believe this portepee, for whatever reason, spent its entire life with the overlay attached.

As mentioned earlier, I do not doubt the authenticity of the hanger and portepee, but would like to know if anyone has anything similar, and opinions as to the possible purpose of the portepee.

Thanks, Dan

Posting for Dan.

RAD_Hanger_1_jpg_(Medium).jpg (64.96 KB, 218 downloads)

RAD_Hanger_2_jpg_(Medium).jpg (77.56 KB, 217 downloads)

Portepee_1_jpg_(Medium).jpg (60.47 KB, 216 downloads)

Regards

Russ

Portepee_2_jpg_(Medium).jpg (57.74 KB, 214 downloads)
Dan, we've found many nonstandard hangers over the years. There was recently a very interesting one posted over on WAF
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.co...823&highlight=saddle
Times were tough in the 30's and often times accoutrements were made up or modified locally. There were lots of shoe makers etc around to do such work.
As far as the portepee. That's odd but again remember that most of this stuff came out of small cottage makers. I would also imagine that some was taken home by women and done on a piece-work basis. Perhaps this was done as a "government job", that's what we used to call small personal jobs guys would do in the shop for themselves. They of course always took priority!! Big Grin

D
DASH Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Lakesidetrader - Thanks for the reply. When I was young and worked as a machinist, I was very familiar with "government jobs".

I think you are on the right track with both items.

I find it interesting that the clips are D.R.G.M. marked and the correct type for a RAD Sr. Also, this hanger came with a dagger that also had the standard hanger - was this perhaps for "field" use? It certainly shows enough wear. I wonder about the "LP By" stamp, some sort of RAD marking?

As for the portepee, the overlay was definately added post factory. The ball underneath is standard Luftwaffe, and it was obtained on a 2nd Luftwaffe dagger. As we all know that colors on portepees and troddels define certain information about the wearer, I am curious as to the specific purpose of the carmen/gold cording.

Dan

The clips look and it's a bit hard to tell like deluxe luft clips. They are all DRGM marked, that was part of the casting. "LP by", no idea. I think the portepee overlay is Fire Police?

The leather hanger may be for a fire axe with the two rings-----I say that because both straps are of an equal length and almost all dagger hangers of this type have one short strap and one longer one. There are also a few hirschfangers that have two rings on the top fitting. At any rate IMO it is unofficial and IMO could be for just about any edged weapon with two rings on either side of the top fitting. The standard knot seems to have been covered by a ball covering from another unknown knot--unknown purpose--but again--unofficial IMO

MAX & OVMS Life Member, MAX Bd. of Experts. GDC Platinum Dealer. Collector since 1955.
D
DASH Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Lakesidetrader and Houston - Some very good thoughts and comments on these 2 items. As for the hanger, since it came with the RAD dagger and a bunch of other stuff, I just assumed it was for the dagger.

The Hirschfanger or fire axe theory, based on the equal legnth straps, is very interesting, and opens up a world of speculation.

I would like to thank you both for taking the time and offering some genuine and very interesting possibilities (and not just saying "fake, never saw anything like it").

Regards, Dan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,268,262 SS Bayonets
1,765,153 Teno Insignia Set
1,134,483 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
EK 2 Round 3
by Dutchman - 05/20/2024 11:45 PM
Can you determine authenticity of SS dagger?
by AnatoliyD - 05/17/2024 04:22 PM
SS dagger KM7/91
by zwoerf - 05/17/2024 06:56 AM
My first bayonet
by Cameron - 05/16/2024 03:33 PM
How do flotation tubs differ from traditional bathtubs?
by Aquant Seo - 05/16/2024 11:25 AM
Latest New Posts
EK 2 Round 3
by fischer - 05/23/2024 03:07 AM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by derjager - 05/23/2024 01:26 AM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Gaspare - 05/22/2024 11:22 PM
My first bayonet
by derjager - 05/22/2024 07:16 PM
Can you determine authenticity of SS dagger?
by kreta1961 - 05/22/2024 02:47 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,683
Posts329,297
Members7,539
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
9 members (Feodor, kreta1961, AnatoliyD, Vern, Skyline Drive, The_Collector, Dean Perdue, fischer, Sasha), 482 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod