Klaas U 9 Naval Dagger

A few things I have learned from mine�please add to the list I really want to know

1. The actual blade etch remains the essentially the same. Other than a few little rough edges and this or that line being a little thicker or thinner or a few more or less water inlet ports as caused by the etchng process, If �you have seen one you have seen them all�. I am personally aware of seven U 9�s being sold in the last five years and they were all identical in the etch. One of the seven did have a hammered scabbard.
2. The Robert Klaas stamp may be on either side of the blade. The stamp may be centered or slightly toward the blade body. All of the stamps I have seen are the same.
3. Two different blade blanks were used. When looking at the side of the ricasso one is square and the other tapers into the body of the blade. The tapered ricasso blade is � inch longer than the boxed ricasso one. The fullers of the tapered ricasso model extend farther into the etch double floral pattern.
4. The etched blade is nickel plated, with darkened frosting as the background to the design.
5. The U 9 on the reverse. This U Boat is not an actual artist copy of the original U9 either World War One or Two but more or less a composite of the two in my view. I think a submariner will look at the boat and say it is a II B from the 30�s. There was a time I thought maybe this design was ordered by Luth to celebrate his Knights Cross but I think the celebration of the Otto Weddigen boat makes more sense. Klaas is no help. They say all of their records were destroyed during WW II, which is the stock answer. We hope to conduct some more research with this firm, but with a German national this time. Back to the etch. The U9 was authorized to have the Iron Cross on the conning tower but it is missing from this design. Of course during war time both the Iron Cross and bow markings were not used. I do not think the design on the conning tower is a 9. I believe it is a life preserver with a running light below. The bow marking U 9 is of course crystal clear. The etch on the obverse. The battle ship is well done look for the 3 gun turret and the fluttering flags. The fouled anchor is typical.
6. The grip is celluloid over wood in all I have seen with a twisted brass wire wrap. The wire ends are not pegged into the side of the grip but extend below the crossguard and pommel.
7. The crossguard and pommel. Everyone says they are generic and I agree. I have seen a couple different eagles, the rounded head parrot beaked Krebs type and the square jawed Weyersberg, I am really not great on different heads as I have really never cared that much. The crossguard has the large central panel with fouled anchor and the guard ends are the rounded end type. The push button is always notched.
8. The scabbard. Some variation in length up to � inch.. Scabbard reminds me of some Horsters. The scabbard throat is affixed with two large dome head scabbard screws. The scabbard liners may be either metal army type or standard wooden navy liners. Blades with the metal liners don�t hold up very well. I think the metal liners were introduced first and then Klaas switched to wooden like most other firms. The oak leaf and acorn suspension bands are mounted with the leaves facing toward or away from the eye. The bands facing away from the eye are scalloped on the edge in the shape of the leaf while the ones facing the ring are more squared on the edge. Neither eyelets have center sleeves.

1gdc.jpg (55.36 KB, 1171 downloads)