quote:
Originally posted by Brigadefuhrer:
Threads like this amuse me. Tailors measured and 'tailored' tunics to their owners....not their insignia. If any of you have collected Generals insignia on even a casual basis you've surely noted the difference in sizes and manufacture of both tabs and boards. There was no 'one size fits all'. Regardless of the provenance of this piece, if you're basing opinions on whether the insignia fit a tailored tunic or not, you're all way off base. General's uniforms didn't come pre-made from some factory in a regimented fashion.

Originial insignia is original insignia. Tailored clothing is tailored clothing. Neither was designed to fit the other.

By the way, I recently re-tailored my business wardrobe (a downsize, fortunately) and asked for some radical changes that my tailor wasn't prepared to make, and advised against. Even then, my desire won out over the tailors advice (and the tailor didn't come out screaming, "you can't do that, that coat is from 1988, its not the style/regulation now"). Imagine back in the day when the only response back from the rather intimidated tailor would've been, 'Jawohl, Herr Generale!". Nuff said?

..by the way , you wouldn't happen to have a picture of GFM Rommel in his open collar Tunic ..you know , the one with the smaller red field on the collar tabs ..that the Tailor obviously cut down so that it fit the collar style ? Wink
There's no way that any Tailor would make a custom Tunic and then take stock insignia and just stick it on ...even if it didn't really fit. I don't know how many General Officers Tunics you've handled but , they really paid attention to symmetry and detail. A Generals Tunic where the collar hangs over and rubs against the breast Eagle ? (we're not talking about a Panzer Wrap style here where the overhang is intentional) And the Tabs are sewn on hanging over the edge of the Collar ?
If that's acceptable to you , you should contact the seller and buy it ...could be a good investment!

GERrommel.jpg (13.56 KB, 322 downloads)