Gary,

Plenty of great designs and color patterns to these awards and decorations. Didn't you tell me that this particular consecutive grouping all came from the same person? Late twenties, early thirties I believe? The condition of the enamel and metallic finishes are in a fine state of preservation and generally speaking,
the entire lot presents a handsome display of civilian medals. Smile Can you tell us the maker's marks found on some of these?

You bring up a valid point and I'm not really sure if there's any connection between the two types of jesters? Other than being a fine universal graphic that aptly depicts gaiety, fun and mischief, I don't know the true background of these two types of German harlequins? Possibly just the old European tradition carried over from the days of having a funny-man or jester, at a noble's court?

I know the Germans had their fair share of Pranksters in fairy-tales and legends, some of them actually not too funny at all. Mad Two that immediately come to mind are Max und Moritz and that 'king of pranksters,' the famous Til Eulenspiegel. Even the great Austrian composer Johann Strauss wrote a score to commemorate our 'not-so-funny,' funny-man.

The German sense of written humor could at times be considered ghastly at best, similar to some of the original, uncut Grimm's brothers tales, where the end doesn't always turn out so rosy. Big Grin For his mischievious ways Herr Eulenspiegel ended up at the end of a rope, some happy ending, eh? Smile

I think in order to address your question properly, one would have to study the old Germanic tales and folklore. In the meantime I'll settle for the old boy just being fun to have around for some good laughs ... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I wisht Stymie was a monkey..!

Here's another of Baz' Duisburger Karnival gems.

Best to all !

Zilly Billy

karnival091sm.jpg (82.44 KB, 99 downloads)