Bill,
I'm drooling! Gosh you find the best medals. You can certainly see the Art Nouveau design in that first piece and neat name for a club. I wonder if Waldfrieden might also be the name of the town as well and if the central design might represent the club? The mustachioed little fella could be what is called the Pritschmeister. This little fella had many duties but for the most part, this is the guy who ran around in his funny hat and costume with his baton punishing all those that violate festival rules. I might add that meant officials and bad shooters were fair game as well. I guess he was like the court jester or the fool, but with the power to enforce in a fun way of course.
Instead of a baton, this little fella has an axe. Yikes! I'd hate to be one of those bad shooters! Maybe he's poking a little fun at the club name; the forest isn't so free with a guy wielding an axe. lol..
I think your right with the steam ship, river-port town idea, with the wheel representing a target. I've seen them with lots of different types of wheels or (targets) from horse drawn carts to steam locomotives and anchors, but not a steam boat. It's all about history and symbolism I think. Have you found any maker marks? Bill, I really enjoy these things, great finds and of course just my two jests worth! Smile