Tony,

My sword has a peened tang. It is shown as an Alcoso #101 in the catalog. Interestingly, Alsoco also shows the same sword with folding guard, no grip insignia, and the Imperial eagle in the guard as #259 in the same catalog. This sword is shown with a plain blade with a single fuller and a scabbard with TWO rings. There is another one in the same configuration with a fixed guard like Max's shown as a #192. This sword also has a two ring scabbard.

So, it seems that Alcoso at least continued to offer the two ring scabbard very late and well after regulations eliminated the second ring. This catalog is from around 1935-36 as it has the 1st model Fliegerdolch illustrated as #1865.

I was looking at the king and knight helm logo on Max's sword to date it earlier as well. I suspect that it is very possible these makers were using up NOS parts during the Weimar Republic so dating it may be a bit more difficult than we first thought. Max's sword might have a new-old-stock grip, blade, and scabbard or it could be pre-WWI.

Max, this may be harder than we thought. Nice sword though.

George

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson