Doug,
I'd agree with you on that point. Certainly reactions may seem polar...though contingent on ones perspective. I have my own theories on why such a strong reaction on the part of the Polish governemnt occurred. However, it's really of no consequence as it relates to my general feeling on this matter.

Should we be sensitive about what happened nearly 70 years ago? Yes, I think we should, and I certainly appreciate the perspective of Jewish persons who struggled during this very difficult chapter in history. Though as it relates to the pert. of the theft, I still go full circle to 1) it was the theft of a somewhat culturally iconic symbol, which a certain religous group endears because of it represents a very dark chapter of their existence and 2) because preservation of antiquities/historically significant artifacts is improtant in a variet of ways...as a teaching tool, as a testement to our cultural past, present and future, etc.

I can't speak to the reaction of the government when the theft occurred. I suspect some would view it as overkill, while others would view the reaction as barely enough. I guess it's a matter of persepctive based on a persons experience and beliefs. Again though, I cannot speak to that aspect of it. I can only reiterate my feelings about the recovery of the artifact, and why I view the theft as not only a prima facia crime, but also a desecration because what that sign represents.

I think we can all agree that the recovery of the sign is a relief, and I think we can all agree that we are happy to see it hopefully go back to its rightful spot. Most of us are recreational historins thusly believing that the maintaining of historical inegrity and accuracey is important for the specific artifact.

*** I have an email from one of our peers who hails from Israel. He's Jewish, and a collector of WW2 militaria, with an emphasis on German items. He wrote me a great email some time back from the perspective of a Jewish collector, who's family suffered under the Reich. Like many, his grandfather had served Germany honorably as an officer during the "Great War" and was a proud nationalist to the core. Needless to say, none of this mattered at the end of the day, and those of his family who survived immigrated to China under duress. His take on collecting is very interesting and quite insightful. I'd really like to post the body of his email, though I would clearly need direct permission from him to do so. It's a great perspective, very interesting and exceptionally level headed, substantive, objective and very well written.

Tom

German Sabers