Wotan,

Years ago I had one of the aluminum-type examples. I never considered it to be original and couldn't find any original photos of one being used. I bought it strictly for the aesthetic quality, it certainly is a great design. It reminds me of one the large Reichstag backdrops, but it's still different from any of those. I would think a good original casting would have been of much better quality, like a proper Reichsbahn eagle.

If either of the two is original, I'd have to choose the second darker example. The design is just so much more finished and refined. From here it looks like it has a beautiful original patina, though, you would be in a better position to judge that - the feel and look of the metal would be important to me, too. Have you ever seen one of these on a building or used otherwise? Is there any history or documentation to either of the two patterns?

As an aside, did you take the photographs? The first photo is exceptional, perfect background color and lighting. Cool

I look forward to hearing about what you can tell us from your end. Great birds!

Best!

Bill