quote:
Originally posted by jim m:
I should add one thing here that I spent about 10 years living next door to the owner of one of the largest tool and die making shops in the Mid West. Eric and I had numerous conversations about moldmaking and casting and I spent many hours in his shop observing what was going on. His shop,for example, made all the molds out of aluminum for the NFL football helmets and also all the molds for GMs dashboards. This was long before I had any interest in Tk rings and the like. The one thing I came away with from these discussions from long ago was that die casting was the way to go for uniformity and precision. In his opinion rubber mold casting and the like was only useful for amateur efforts and one off jewelry works.
Jim

If I do understand you right you are talking about die casting or in other words preasure injection casting. Technically it is possible, but think about very complicated equipment, much more complicated dies compared to die struck, and energy waste , and many other troubles. This method is good for aluminum, zinc etc. in hundreds of thousands pieces. Those are reasons why you never hear about silver die casting even today.

There are less original rings than you think, much less...

www.totenkopfrings.com