Sepp,

I have no doubt that the piece is real, and I have examined a few original specimens, together with a greater quantity of the fake examples.

The feature on the scabbard panelling is the easiest and fastest to check; followed by some visible characteristics concerning the stippling. These are just details that I noted and relate to when checking such an item. Some of the other prominent researchers have their own favorite indicators to look for.

The structure of the actual dagger itself has less obvious distinguishing features, principally because the piece was hand-finished. As a result, there are minute differences between the originals, all due to the artisan workmanship involved. However, there are also some constant features portrayed on the upper and lower guards, which are created by the permanent features inherent in the master pattern - from which these portions are created.

Although the photographs of the piece were insufficient to reveal the precise details that I would look for, the colour of the gold plating is rather persuasive. It has a "rose pink" look about it, and seems to equate to something approximating 14 caret gold. This has a pinkish appearance as it is alloyed with copper. I associate this colour with the "production" pieces of the FHH - as all original examples I have seen have had this appearance. (The collar patches of the FHH uniform also have deep pink background.)

I hope that my comment is interesting and informative to everybody - particularly to the owner of the dagger, who may not have fully realised just what it is that is in his possession.

Frederick J. Stephens