Jim,
I never liked this thing. Real or not. This sword would not IMO grace the walls of Carin Hall.
Even though I don't like the look I actually feel it is modern made and aged to deceive fake.
The numerous delaminations that FP has pointed out along with the "cold shut" and other exibits of inferior workmanship had me wondering. Then the grip! Eek I mean that really said to me that the workmanship was way off. You don't give something like that to a blade lover like the Reichsmarshall! Roll Eyes
The threaded stub tang bothered me also...never seen something like that. Didn't like it when I saw it either.
Then I didn't know why all the mystery everyone had on the lettering of the dedication. And when FP pointed out the "circular" marks in the cavity of the dedication..well that sealed it for me.
Back in the 70's I seen what a regular pantograph machine would do. Like turn your regular Mauser M-96 Broomhandle into a rare Persian Contract. Mill out that Persian Crest perfectly. A little careful blue and a little wear. Wa-La it's ready to be sold to the deep pocket newbie Joe Bxxxxx.
So an industrial grade Pentograph could mill that out in ..NO TIME.

I believe it's a fake. And without the Master of Disasters proof of Rock Solid Provenance...I will still consider this item made post 1945.
-JMO-

-serge-