I had always wondered if the old Verlangerungsmesser knives were carried in the German Army. I found this post from Bill Warda back in Jan. 2013. NOTE: "Information from a German book, "Deutsche Kampfmesser," states that this type of knife was even carried by German Colonial troops in East Africa".

Re: ??? - Stag Schloss & Stern Folding Hunter Solingen
Mikee#27749801/28/2013 02:48 PM
WWII

Media, PA
Todd,

This is known as a Verl�ngerungsmesser, or, "flexible-folding-extension" knife. They're listed in many original Solingen blade catalogs, normally under the heading of forestry and hunting weapons. Considering how many major and minor Solingen weapons/cutlery producers there were at the turn of the century, and then distributors on top of that, I'd say you've found a nice rare one there. I can't recall ever having seeing that name listed, or even heard mention of a Schloss & Stern-marked sidearm before. That's part of the excitement of collecting these things - new information is constantly found. If I had to say how old, judging by the scabbard design and decoration, mid-twenties, early thirties? possibly even teens?

Information from a German book, "Deutsche Kampfmesser," states that this type of knife was even carried by German Colonial troops in East Africa.

Even though yours looks nearly identical to the example on the Hammesfahr product-sheet, it could have come from any number of sources, especially having that unusual marking. A lot of firms made these. Whatever the case may be, your Messer looks to be in super condition, as many of these fine tools are found in "worked-to-death" condition. wink

Best!

Bill