post # 357261
Originally Posted by C. Wetzel-20609
I have found in my e-mail files some great pictures of the "Renz, St. Gallen" Verlangerungsmesser.
This Verlangerungsmesser is identical to the "Carl Holz, Tuttlingen" Verlangerungsmesser that is pictured in the 1895 "Carl Holz, Tuttlingen" catalog.
Did they both produce the same Verlangerungsmesser or was one a distributor?

I tracked several internet files for ‚Renz‘ cutlers in St. Gallen.

1 – St. Gallen Staatsarchiv (State Archives) is listing a 1885 magazine’s report, stating a donation of table cutlery with buffalo horn handles and the blade marking ‚E. Renz St. Gallen‘ to (or for?) the collection of the ‚Schweizer Nationalmuseum‘ (Swiss Nationmal Museum).
As cutler of this table ware is named: Messerschmied E. Renz, Multergasse 23, St. Gallen.

2 – A German Antique Shop’s post was showing up a vintage renaissance style table knife with a 2-line blade marking ‚RENZ ST.GALLEN“ last year. (No 'E.' .. only RENZ)

3 – Worthpoint-com is showing up a vintage stag horn handled „E.RENZ ST.GALLEN“ marked vintage stag horn handled pocket knife with 7 toolings.
The description of the knife is stating an additional marking with „GERMANY“, surely a proof that the knife was made FOR E. RENZ by a German cutler.

Several sources are referring to Renz cutlers with the identical street name of ‚Multergasse‘ in St.Gallen, with differnet house numbers such as 21, 23, 26, and 43.
Possibly Renz family successors moved while enlargening business?

I assume that 'E. Renz in St. Gallen' was a cutler, marketing knives as distributor and possibly crafting own cutlery items.

Just as additional information:
„Swiss Army" style knives with 6 blades/toolings and tang mark in two lines „W.RENZ ST.GALLEN“ (with matching Victorinox logo ‚cross logo in a shield‘) can be tracked in the internet .
Maybe you will enjoy this letterhead:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]