Ed,
I know I sound like a broken record here. The way I see it is this. Back in the 50s and 60s you could buy daggers swords etc from places like Museum of Historical Arm or Robert Ables and host of others. Now we can reference Johnson ,Wittmann, Carter, the list continues etched bayonet book is a great reference! But as a kid I had no clue Johnson was printing books. Only when I was older did I see that. So imagine you buy an army dagger from Robert Ables or the like it has luft hangers or Social welfare hangers. How would you know? The background had not been done. RAD leader with teno hangers. But as the hobby grew knowledge also grew. Some things we may never know. But people continue research. Maybe we will never know the answer to your question. But we can log photos of items stories of where certain lots of tags came from etc ...Man I wish I had the answer or answers. I don't. But I've been in contact with a person at JRB and nobody is continuing Tom work of just saving image files.. I'm not crazy smart nor do I have deep pockets to buy everything. But this is needed before it gets out of hand and we see tags from the 60s on period daggers etc.. and they are taken as 100% fact.
That's going on right now!!! See TWs show video. Fact is I was in ICU recovery and my kid asks me are ever going to set up at the gun shows again. I had no answer as to why not. So I picked up where I left off and am desperate to fix this before it gets out of hand.
Sadly the number of contributing members here is low. I know the spin from people with more answers than me. It's I don't need the hassle of a forum or the backlash. I can't beg anyone for facts but I sure as hell try to stop anyone from putting a suspect non period tag or a period item. I'm not sure it is fixable but we don't put luft hangers on army daggers do we? It has to start somewhere and this is the where the rubber meets the road. Maybe we can make a dent until someone comes along with a better idea.