got a 'Bayerische Ostmark' guard-marked sa and it's slightly strange.

it's got NO maker mark. the motto's got no background color. and the letters seem shallow & are gnarly. bad etch.
no grain showing and it looks like the blade's been nickel plated. ridge line's strong, tho, so I'm guessing period.

never been apart far's I can tell. so I don't know what the guards say or if the tang's got the billet or forge marks.

the chape's missing the solder and finish, i.e., you can see the seam (upper one's ok though.)

the scabb's got the right kind of runners and has the typical 'early' weight.so does the dagger. I'm guessing solid nickel guards. but at some stage postwar it was refinished - with what looks like hi-gloss AUTOMOTiVE paint! the guys over at restoration forum said maybe this can come off easy - maybe even be 'rolled off.' haven't tried that... cd. not remove upper fitting - but would like to see if any orig. finish is there.... probably not b/c/ there's a chip and it looks like bare steel underneath.

overall, I have these sense this one was buttoned up poorly at (whatever) factory made it; and maybe it was saved as an example of lousy workmanship. OR the blade's just fake.
yet the guards, grip and insignias look dead original - plus the blade fits the lower guard very well.

expertise invited! happy 2010.

bo3.jpg (85.36 KB, 450 downloads)

inimicus