Well, I just read that (thanks for the kudos on the pop the hatch comment, ps oxidation is not proprietary to era, oxidation in 2017 is the same as 1933 any chemist can do that) anyhow I digress. I have followed the European fakes and laser jobs for a good amount of time, I have bought a few too see what they are like. Mostly they come out of The czech republic, liberac to be precise (212.00 on ebay, a small price to pay of knowledge, I own every reference book on German daggers I can find, another small price to pay), the metal is pathetically under the RC hardness of 50, you can hear the difference if you strike the blade, metal density. The laser etching that they do is remedial, the lateral laser lines are evident, the sharp edges (that is the case in the blade in question) are perfect! I have see few daggers with a motto that even comes close to this one in sharpness, I put it up on a big screen to get a better look, I see NO nibbles, not a one, the metal is even throught, acid can't do this, it is an organic reaction that lacks precision, it reacts to the imperfections, varying densities, impurities etc. in the steel, lasers dont care).
Russ, I have to get in the boat with you on this one. The "politics" of this blade are self evident, the opinions (vast majority) are also self evident.
I am usually a silent observer (the scientist in me demands it), however when something like this arises, I feel as though it must be addressed, with a collection of over 200 TR daggers and other edged weapons (mostly for actual use) I have a vested interest in what is real and what is fake, for me it is about the history 1st, the quality second and thirdly the use.
Back to my bunker I go, with a totally new perspective.
Regardless of people's opinions of posters, authors, fakers, sellers, buyers etc. etc. I am thankful a Forum exists, a place to exchange information, ideas and opinions, to showcase our collections, to seek out other works of art (and to let me use a bunch of run on sentences).
Oi