Originally Posted By: soh
Fred, please forgive my ignorance, but could you elaborate on the "stern"markings? I'm not overly familiar with some of the more advanced concepts in the blade collecting world so you'll have to bear with me..................

Chris, The stern or perhaps better "Stern" markings are from back when I was specializing in Mauser rifles. Which as I recall had to do with rifles that were functional but not deemed to be acceptable for rebuilding (when and if that time came - in fact beside pistols a number of both rifles and bayonets were overhauled or refurbished until the very early 1940's). With the marking indicating a weapon that was OK to be used as is, but not acceptable for rebuilding because of a technical problem that might not be apparent by just looking at it.

As for the Gebirgsj�ger part, I've also had multiple and still have a reference example of a G. 33/40 carbine with zip, zero, nada indication of a "Gebirgsj�ger" marking on any of the ones I've seen or had which is probably due to: 1) made in CZ, and (2) the well deserved CZ reputation for quality (but not so much near the end of the war). Depot (?) - I've seen more and still have a few of the Depot marked reworks, but this marking is not one of them. With Mundlos as "ab" known to overstamp dates (not common but it has been seen) a serial number in this time frame for me would not be that surprising. Best Regards, Fred