The pricing in US$ seems to be the norm for this hobby. If Paul changed his pricing to reflect C$, all his prices would seem to be 30% higher based on the exchange rate. And, you would still pay the 13% on this higher amount. The 13% tax is levied on the C$ value of the purchase.

And, this would be very confusing and hard to make comparisons with others selling similar items.

Since most of the business that Canadian dealers do is with US customers, not having the prices in US$ would only hurt the business.

Of course, you can buy from forums or directly from collectors or from foreign dealers and auction sites, most of whom will offer limited or no return opportunities, and lie to Revenue Canada when you import your item to save the gst and sales tax, but then you have the risk of import and the risk of losing all your money.

In every country residents must pay the taxes leveled by the local and federal governments. All businesses located in these jurisdictions must comply. Foreign transactions may be able to avoid these taxes for now, and personal transactions do as well. But, as well documented government attempts to get at the underground economy such as internet transactions show, sooner or later many of these avenues will be shut down.

I may be pontificating here, but my point is that you should buy the item, not the price... in Canada, you may pay taxes from 5% (Yeah, Alberta) to 15% (Boo, NB, Nfld, NS), but you will pay these taxes on most of your purchases in these provinces. And, if I buy an item for $3,000 (US) and have to pay $3,390 (US), it may still very well be a deal.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.