quote:
Originally posted by jim m:
quote:
The various catalogs show that chains were worn by North and South Americans and Europeans. Where are the German domestic catalogs that show this chain hanger for the SS sword? Where are the period photographs of this chain hanger in wear by SS Officers

Orpo:
I appreciate you thoughts here. However your in a sense making the point. Without any evidence what were the official sword hangers(s) for SS and police swords? Yes we know from other sources that there were certain types of hangers used with these swords but were they the only ones? We know that there was apparentely great latitude allowed for hangers in other areas for edged weapons such as the SA. I will probably take some time to review period footage of SS swords in wear and see if I can come up with some further information on this subject.
Jim

Resurrecting this thread if I may.The official regulation sword hangers for the SS and Police (General rank and Officers) are shown in the beautiful but expensive pair on Gottlieb's site; originally from Art Sylvie, a bidding war, then to Barry Brown. Visit and read the text of the Probe tags. Wittman showed them. Regulations call for the police to wear leather in black or brown with green cloth backing for non-parade situations.I believe I mentioned the design in Johnson Vol.IV.

I have also seen a long white leather carrying strap with Fischer/Berlin manufacturing stamp, but no police acceptance or SS acceptance. I had thought that perhaps it might be LSSAH parade dress. Look at the photos of the SS-Police degen in use. Vertical carry is the norm. what was the scabbard ring for? A vestige of earlier use? Or perhaps for attachment to saddle scabbard. That is where the latching strap would go.

1838p.jpg (42.33 KB, 224 downloads)

"This hobby is a continuing education"
Looking for Walther Model 8 #727649
and Walther PP #975557