Originally Posted By: Skynyrd
This is probably the holy grail of WW2 bomber art, B-24J "THE DRAGON AND HIS TAIL".

Pics of the original bomber are elusive, any color ones found are bound to be the Collings Foundation copy that they flew for a few years, until repainting it. I seriously doubt if any color pics of the original exist.
It was deployed to the PTO, where it suffered a blown tire and wrecked at the side of the runway on the island of Le Shima.
Some say it was scrapped there, others say it was repaired, flown back to the states, and eventually chewed up for scrap at Davis-Mothan.
I think the latter version is true, I recall a book [that I still have somewhere] called "Desert Boneyard", about Davis Mothan. At least 20 years old, it was loaded with pics, and I'm pretty sure one of them was this bomber on its death bed waiting to meet the scrapper.
This enginless pic was likely from the same era, and [probably] taken at the boneyard. Might just be the one in my book, going to have to dig it up and see.

Ok I found that book, "Desert Boneyard" [1st one], and the Dragon B-24 is not in it ,,, But I know I saw a pic of it waiting to be scrapped somewhere, maybe in Air Classics or something.
Not much from WW2 in the book, BocksCar, B-29 which dropped the 2nd Abomb, was there for a while but got rescued before scrapping.
I'm on a Boneyard kick, I just ordered 2 more, "AMARG: America's Military Aircraft Boneyard - A Photo Scrapbook " and "50 Years of the Desert Boneyard: Davis Monthan A.F.B. Arizona".

Doug