Ladies, Gents,

I really enjoyed seeing Dean's outstanding carved Prussian eagle and thought perhaps we should continue on the theme of Imperial German raptors? There have to be many more fine examples in your collections out there, so if you can contribute one or even several of your older, pre-1933 eagles, please do.

Here's something from my collection that I hope you'll find interesting, another variation of a hand carved, imperial eagle. I got it from a European fellow several years ago, who told me the piece came from the estate of an old German sailor. The 'old salt' carved two large slabs of teak while on duty in the Pacific, around 1914. Along with this there was a second plaque with an intricate carving, a very handsome silohouette profile of von Bismarck. Lacking the funds for both carvings I chose the eagle and am still happy with my decision. grin

Four inches thick and twenty-six across, it's a rather large, heavy affair, being solid and well-seasoned. To give you a little better idea of its size, that's a 15.5 inch, Model 173, Eickhorn Hirschf�nger for a bit of scale. The eagle carving runs at a uniform 14mm depth, a good measure by any standards. Within a smooth, contoured, border lip there are some lightly graved, elegant flourishes to frame the central element. Something that can be easily overlooked, but a most unusual aspect, is the entire outside edge is further hand-finished into decorative tree-knots, crevices, openings and other ornamental features. They're not just embellishments of a natural surface, everything is cut and refined by hand and smooth as a Georgia-peach.

So, whuddya say..? got any nice sewn/embroidered, screened, etched, engraved, carved, drawn, painted, photographed or sculpted eagles you could share? Any and all of your favorite imperial birds are more than welcome here. wink

Thanks, best to everyone!

Bill

teak1sm.jpg (91.45 KB, 112 downloads)