Tim,

Regarding your question of the direction of the sawteeth of this particular bayonet, this is something I don't believe I've ever taken notice of. I checked the 6 sawbacks I have. They are 3 Eickhorns (of differing vintages), a Henckels, an Alcoso & a Carl August Meis, all had teeth pointing in the other direction. This doesn't surprise me since both the Henckels & Meis have Eickhorn hilts so essentially 5 of my 6 sawbacks were made by Eickhorn.

I don't believe this indicates the Puma is incorrect or in some way wrong. The teeth seem well formed & symetrical with the only difference being the direction. There definitely are period bayonets out there that have been "converted" to sawbacks in modern times but I don't think that's the case here. I have bought at least 2 in recent years, both with rare maker marks & it broke my heart that the blades were redone. Those bayonets had smaller teeth which were poorly formed, you would be able to tell if ever you had seen a real one in hand.

On this Puma, I think it's original & period. Can't say with certainty about the teeth direction but would be inclined to believe it's just a manufacturer's variation.

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310