Gentlemen,

It's been a long time since I've added any edged weapons to my collection, however, I thought this one was just too unique to pass by. I think I made a good choice? I've always wanted a nice, sawback bayonet model of some kind, so when this unusual example was offered I didn't hesitate too long. At first I had no idea about how difficult these S84/98 and KS 98 models can be to locate, and so that's a good way to start off ... grin

From what I understand, this is an early private-purchase (Extra-Seitengewehr) example by Carl Eickhorn, marked with back-to-back squirrels and C.E. stamp. A fairly long unit at 15 1/4 inches long, this sawback version came with its original pebbled-frog and smaller NCO/officers, leather-strap knot. The painted, steel scabbard is dent-free and retains a fine, black lacquer finish. So far, so good ... but it gets better.

The grip is equipped with a working, "T/O" style, lug slot. But what really surprised me about this piece is that the checked grip plates aren't made of synthetic material or carved wood, these are cut and fashioned of natural horn. As I'm nearsighted as a bat, so it took an oversize magnifying glass and a bit of time for that to sink in ... nice! The carved horn plates are held tightly in place with three steel rivets. The plated, sawback blade is still in very nice condition, the finish is all there except for a few tiny areas on and between the teeth, at the spine. Just a few small signs of use throughout the sidearm, a couple of nicks and scratches to the bird's-head pommel and minor hits and flaws to the grip plates.

If I missed anything or goofed something up, please correct me. Glad I could add to this interesting thread, good job fellas. wink

Best!

Bill

eicksaw1.jpg (30.77 KB, 74 downloads)
eicksaw2.jpg (28.92 KB, 74 downloads)