Here's something I just found:

Tracking with USPS customs form number?

I shipped out a package via USPS First Class International Mail to Australia from PA. I handed the clerk the package with the shipping and return addresses printed on the package and paid for it. I NEVER filled out any "customs forms" that I'm hearing a lot of people doing. I asked the clerk if they offered any tracking or delivery confirmation and they said no. A few days later, I looked at the receipt they gave me and I notice a "Customs form #" on it. I typed the number into USPS' Track & Confirm page and it says this:

Class: First-Class Mail International
Service(s): International Letter

Your item was accepted at 10:44 am on January 31, 2011 in UNIVERSITY PARK, PA 16802. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

My friend did the same, and this is what it says on his Customs Form Number:

Class: First-Class Mail International
Service(s): International Letter

Your item was processed through and left our JAMAICA, NY 11430 facility on February 01, 2011 at 7:15 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Detailed Results:

Processed through Sort Facility, February 01, 2011, 7:15 am, JAMAICA, NY 11430
Acceptance, January 31, 2011, 1:44 pm, BRONX, NY 10463

Apparently his Customs Form Number is tracking his package. But isn't just simple enough to use a tracking number!?

Last edited by Gaspare; 02/15/2012 06:40 PM.