I know of these bayonets. About 12 years ago, I ran into a guy @ my local swapmeet in Palmdale, Ca. He had a number of artifacts recovered while lake diving in Austria. There were several S84/98s, some deactivated stick grenades (still in the hard carrying case), a scabbard for a Yugoslav Czetnic guard bayonet, and a incomplete blade blank marked "bym" on the ricasso & "5" on the spine, which I purchased.

He had several fascinating tales to tell. I was surprised the condition of the bayonets was fairly decent. They were various makers. One or two had matched scabbards, and most only had a few moderate corrosion patches on them. He stated the fresh, cold water of the Austrian lakes, and thick, viscous mud (which cuts off oxygen & thus inhibits rust), was responsible for the state of preservation. Corrosion was usually due to areas not protected by the lake bottom. The seller even mentioned once he encountered a wooden case, opened the lid, and found it full of bayonets. Unfortunately visibility was poor, and he moved off a short distance to assist his buddy diver, only to never relocate the chest again!

Anyway, what I believe happened is the Ferlach factory operated longer than any other before terminating production. It was not damaged as so many of the Ruhr facilities were. I seriously doubt if any "5" dated bayonets were ever completed. Even so, disarmament programs were soon enacted. War material was gathered and either burned, crushed, or otherwise disposed of. Large, deep rivers and lakes were particularly useful for this, and so went what remained on the production line at Ferlach. Some Veteran could have taken a bayonet from the factory as a souvenir, which might possibly have born a "5". However Ferlach was likely assembling previously dated "4" blades for most of the duration until it ceased production. I believe the highest serial numbers known are "bym4" in the low "F" bloc. Lastly, since that time, other such blades have surfaced and were recovered in the same way.

Last edited by FredM; 07/30/2011 01:14 AM.