I agree that the "candidate" sword was used by candidates, based upon the above photos and other information. It's hard to refute what the eyes see. There may have been other uses for "candidate" swords. There have been indications such may have been the case, such as presentation SS swords with a "candidate" grip. I wonder if candidates were allowed to retain and possibly wear their swords after becoming commissioned officers. There seem to be enough of these swords around to indicate they were individually owned and not temporarily issued by the schools. I have no proof, but speculate they may have been used for special gifts, mostly with etched blades, as an unofficial degen, with no requirement they be presented, as with SS honor degens. They are one of the most enigmatic edged weapons of the Third Reich. It is interesting to note the uniform of the second individual depicted appears to that of an officer, save the shoulder straps. His collar tabs and cap cord are officer types. It is unfortunate his belt buckle is not depicted.

Last edited by Grumpy; 04/24/2011 07:32 PM.