quote:
Fred, I don't think so. Usually the laser etch delivers a finely cut edge at right angles to the blade. The SS runes have the jagged edge more consistent with an acid etch. What is interesting is that the detail of the SS runes do not match the precise cut of the numbering and RZM mark which looks more like a laser etch to me, almost appears to be applied at different times.

Red,

Thanks for the reply, and with your insight you've zeroed right in on what aroused my curiosity. I also thought it was strange. I'm thinking out loud here - but what would cause somebody to do something like that??

My thinking: Some of the fakes I've seen over a period of time have had a similar look, but with different supposed "makers".

Could somebody have made a bunch of "SS" dagger blades en masse (w/old technology). With the makers to be added later, to minimize suspicion from a batch of fakes surfacing. All being made with the same "maker", the same kind of surface finish, etc. etc. And then used a newer technology to finish some of them them up??? Hmmmmmm ......... Roll Eyes

Best Regards, Fred