Thank you guys.
Denny/Dave, the new camera is a Panasonic FZ-100 ( Panasonic ). Before everybody sells a dagger to buy one, I must point out that after having the camera for a number of weeks and giving it a good run, I would not recommend it as top of the range for picture quality.
There are far better options for the money regarding overall picture quality, however if its a general all purpose camera you are looking for this one has full 1080p HD video, 5 shot burst capture in raw format and a host of other impressive stats including a x24 optical zoom.
This camera requires LOTS of light, anything less than a bright sunny day results in excess picture noise that is very annoying and coupled with the UK climate......enough said.

I always shoot in RAW, use a tripod, manual focus and of course macro mode for taking pictures of objects. Use indirect natural light, close to a large window is normally good enough and set your max iso on your camera, if possible to 100.

There are plenty of people on this forum who take top notch pictures and I suspect most of them use similar techniques.

Resize in photoshop if you have it and use the "save for web" feature with a max filesize of 120k, it ensures the best quality compression for the forum.

I hope that helps a little.