I always keep an open mind when it comes to our evolving and growing hobby. I have many questions, but never enough answers, just the nature of the beast� Besides none of this "other stuff" comes close to or compares to the quality of hirschfangers anyway! Big Grin

I would like to ask some questions and make the following observations.
It's been my experience to never judge a piece based solely on the lack of a crescent moon and crown. It's also been my experience that some makers stamped their wares with a crescent moon and crown while others simply didn't. I've always believed that jewelry and other small items weren't required to be marked with crescent moon and crown. Again, some did and some didn't.

The first thing I eye ball is the silver content mark. Which in this case is .800 parts silver? Because that's what it should be. Is it? The Gahr maker marks and the other marks posted require more research and comparisons in order to come to positive conclusion. Have we done that? Has the Gahr firm used this very distinctive type crown and crescent moon mark on other items or just these central mounts or do we see the use of other marks during this same period? Another company involved? I�ve heard no?

This crown on the Gahr piece in my opinion is a very distinctive mark and resembles a trade mark in design that would be registered. Maybe to small in this case, I don�t know. The mark with one or two crescent moons inside a circle, if that's what it is? Not a clear enough image for me anyway to actually determine what type of mark it may or may not be. Although the marks are unusual and not what I'm used to seeing, I find these marks very interesting.

I have seen very similar Bavarian crown type maker marks on other types of wares resembling the crown mark on the Gahr piece. Not all Bavarian makers used this style of Bavarian crown mark on their stuff, but a few did and again are some what very similar to the one shown on the Gahr piece. What we need is more information on the Gahr firm presented here on this forum.

The 1886 law was mentioned. Could this explain why we see the different style of marks on this Gahr piece(s)? A German Imperial style crown mark versus a Kingdom of Bavarian style of crown mark? Was this 1886 law only for Prussian companies? Or did it include the Kingdom of Bavaria? The Kingdom of Bavaria became part of the German Empire in what, 1870/1? But did the Kingdom of Bavaria follow German imperial law?

Anyway, during the 3rd Reich period from what I gathered from other posts the Gahr Company it seems followed the law marking other items more to what we are used to viewing. But chose to mark at least these central mounts with a Bavarian style crown? I�m not sure if anyone at this time knows the consistency or types of marks used by this company during this period? To think a faker could be so far off base with these national marks with so many to choose from to get it right. Maybe it is right!

Could it simply be the Gahr firm chose this style of Bavarian crown due to being located in Munich �The Paris of Germany�, which is the Bavarian Capital?

It's hard to believe that up till now nobody after all these years has at least attempted to find out more about these marks. Somebody must have?

It�s all debatable, but we need to research this one further. Thanks for the interesting topic.