Although I never had the luck to handle one of these in person I dare to make a general statement:
As "Germ.Daggers of WWII, Vol.II" by TMJ on pg 458/459 clearly shows an identical dagger in a PERIOD "in wear" pic (!) it is beyond each doubt that such daggers with such certain hanger configuration did exist. As in the same book credit is given to our member Jason Burmeister concerning an identical dagger, due to the well known superior knowledge of Jason Burmeister for me it is beyond each doubt that the dagger shown there (in the book) is an original period item.
The dagger shown here by the founder of GD.C, Craig seems to conform these daggers and looks to be period what we can see from the pics. Naturally, as mostly, an in hand inspection by an experienced collector (what I think already has happend) would be necessary for a final statement but I personally cannot find any obvious red flag (beside the mentioned and declared "fit-flaw") in the pics shown here.
Craig, thank you for showing and opening a discussion about these extravagant and extraordinairy daggers.
Such threads are a pleasure and a highlight for our forum!
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.