Here are the features and characteristics of the "Type II- A" links, that I have observed.

1. The pebbling on these chains is less course and therefore didn't hold the burnishing as well at the typical Type II chains. As every one that I have inspected the burnishing was diminished even thought the daggers were un-cleaned and the chain as well.

2. The skulls on these Type II-A chains were more detailed when it came to the teeth, nose, and even the nose septum, a detail that I can't remember seeing with either your Type I chains nor the normally seen Type II's.

3. The shape of the skull and eye sockets appear different than what is normally seen on Type II's.

4. The distance between the actual runes, is less than what is seen on normal Type II's.

5. The connectors to the Wotan's Knot, while being beveled, are not as narrow cut and shaped as we see on the Type II's that we are familiar with.

Does anyone see these features in the above posted skull link ? I will post some photos of the Runes link and the beveled connectors. You can also see this type of chain in Witty Offering 40 page 171. And you can see the connectors on page 201 of his "Big Bible".

Was there possibly a third chain vendor that made these pieces for the M36 dagger ? Were these differences due to the die getting tired or worn ? What are your thoughts ?

JR