Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sauer Offline OP
OP Offline
I have read a bunch of the posts in this forum, and myabe I'm a bit slow, but can someone please point out some foolproof ways to ID a Rohm Dagger or Rohm ground blade.

I have seen many "Rohm Blades" for sale and on some it is clear, you can see where the blade was ground down to remove etching and it is pretty obvious that there was some type of inscription there.

1) How can you tell that someone just didn't take a regular SA dagger and scratch the hell out of one side and say it was a Rohm blade?

2) I've seen "Rohm Blades" for sale where the photos aren;t even close ups of the blade to see where the inscription was and it doesn't look any different that the blade on my SA.

An SA dagger just sold on this forum with a Ground Rohm. Please, I am the last one to say something is not what it says it is, so please do not take this the wrong way. I'm just asking for my own knowledge... I don't see any indication that this blade is any different than mine except it has a different makers mark. There isnt even a close up of the blank side of the blade where the Rohm inscription was.

I am not a newby, but I am by no means experienced. I have gone back and read ALOT of these posts and I just need someone to point out exactly what I should be looking for.

Thank you,

Jim

Jim,

The truth is that with the exception of the more obvious fakes - like having an RZM blade, or incorrectly spelled inscription, or a different size of letters - no one can tell from digital photos.

Although you will find people who think otherwise and will post all the free opinions you can handle, a decent fake cannot be 100% diagnosed from photos. Too many variation in camera abilities, lighting, photography angle, etc. Then there are things that cannot be captured with a camera. The balance, overall finish, and 'feel' of the completed dagger.

You need to consult with a very experienced collect or dealer and do it in person.

Gound Rohms are something else. Remember that a completely ground Rohm does not sell for more that than same dagger in that same condition but without an inscrption*.

One question that cannot be answered - at least by me - is on the daggers where uou see just traces of the inscription. Vague tops and bottoms of words. Are those real or a fake that was ground down. There is usually not enough left to say for sure.

Dave

* The one exception to a completely ground Rohm fetching more $$ would be where that trademark was used only with Rohms. A small SS Klass is very hard to fing. SA's with smaller trademarks - except Eickhorn - may command a little extra.

Words to live by if you are buying ANY relich. Photos only tell part of the story, this is why attending the shows and handling the real deals will teach you what is good and bad,,,, or not just quite right.

Sauer,
If the piece has been profesionally ground and polished it can be difficult to tell(eprecially for the amature collector).
The easiest way that I could tell you to be 100% sure is to take a pair od maseasuring calipers and measure the blade thickness of a non-Rohm piecve and then measure your "ground" Rohm piece. If the blade (of the same maker) is thinner, the "thinner one" should be a Ground Rohm...
Best of luck,
Johnny

Silver Badge #0398

My Avatar = My dagger security system! wink
Sauer Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks for the replies guys. I just have started to see alot of "Ground Rohm" blades and frankly they don't look like anything special to me... just regular SA blades. Just wanted to know for myself.

Jim

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,276,794 SS Bayonets
1,774,799 Teno Insignia Set
1,142,426 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern
by Cameron - 06/12/2024 06:12 PM
German Naval sword - M1715?
by Chiska - 06/12/2024 02:02 PM
NSRL Flag good or bad
by Cameron - 06/12/2024 06:33 AM
West Wall Medal (Schutzwall-Ehrenzei
chen)

by Cameron - 06/10/2024 08:30 PM
Latest New Posts
Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern
by Cameron - 06/13/2024 04:59 AM
Dagger SA Röhm SMF
by Herman V. (aka Herr Mann) - 06/12/2024 02:12 PM
German Naval sword - M1715?
by Chiska - 06/12/2024 02:02 PM
SS Directory Black Book
by JONATHAN - 06/12/2024 12:47 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,674
Posts329,357
Members7,555
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
10 members (Nietzsche, Fitzer, JONATHAN, Miroslav, Evgeniy, seany, Cameron, Katodog, Stephen, Chiska), 116 guests, and 208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod