quote:

That etched saber is a beauty! Does anyone remember the Eickhorn Roon that Tom W had at SOS about three years ago in the original factory wrapper? the gilding was perfect and very bright, the hand chiseling provided a vivid contrast and sparkle, and it was truly one of the most beautifull swords I have ever seen! The regular, run of the mill German swor, Roon or otherwise, , even in excellent condition, just doesnt compare to the one Tom W had! At any rate, to answer the question about the currency conversion, I believe in WWII a DM was worth about 25 cents. In the 1970s I think the DM was worth about 65 cents. I would estimate the WWII cost of the average army saber to be about$4.50 to $5.00. A fully etched blade was only about a dollar or two extra! Apparently these prices represented a significant cost because you find very few army sabers with etched blades or other embellishments. Joe S

German Daggers Dot Com German Daggers Dot Com German Daggers Dot Com German Edged Weapons German Sword Forum Eickhorn Nr 1716

Contact Us | German Daggers Dot Com | Privacy Statement | Terms of Service
Site images not be used without our written permission.