Gentlemen,

I'll try to answer the questions first ...

A - the first four illustrations were prepared as they appear, in the first photo you can see the addition of black as a color to enhance the overall contrast and shadow-areas - boots, jacket, cap, cuffs, etc. If you look carefully, the second, third and fourth photos
lack any true black tones and the darkest shadow areas are composed of other colors that were used by the artist. All of the prints were reproduced using the "four-color process," meaning the original was seperated into precise amounts of, cyan, magenta, yellow and black, to faithfully duplicate the artist's color palette. The two paintings on the bottom were also printed usuing a four-color screening process, but it's easier to spot the use of black in this case. This craftsman used lots of black ink to highlight the darkest areas and silhouette certain parts of his work.

Hand-painted engravings are a horse of a different color altogether and exhibit the most vibrant of colors. I don't know if we'd be able to spot a hand-colored piece in this format, but I'll try to post at least one to see if we can?

In the meantime, here's another stylized Hubertus depiction. Looking forward to any and all additional goodies ... Wink

Bill

hunting_graphic2sm.jpg (92.48 KB, 503 downloads)