John

You pose a very interesting question here and one where there are still many loose ends, continuing discussions and heated debate.

The "standard" size HJ and DJ buckles probably appeared in the very early 1930's as of course pre RZM, although the DJ was phased out in possibly late 1936. During this period, various buckle manufacturers realised the potential DJ market (initially without regulations as pre RZM) and produced numerous variations of the single rune design. It was only with the introduction of the RZM, that the buckle became standardised in the well known form of a nickle plated box, with a regular sized and proportioned "exposed" brass and then coated rune.

Dozens of variation DJ buckles exist and if you allow me until the weekend, I will post some images.

The smaller size buckle is not my area of collecting, however I am a little nervous that very often, some of these simply commercial trouser belt buckles, are elevated in status and described as early DJ or HJ.

There was an early period youth organisation as NSDAP Jugend, strongly associated with the SA, rather than being DJ or HJ proper. These chaps accordingly wore a 35mm version of the SA buckle and which was probably worn throughout most of the 1920's.

The other buckles that you refer to however are again and in my opinion commercial pieces. Targeting NSDAP supporters of course, although having a strong attraction to young persons due to the small size of the buckle. More than likely that the manufacturers realised this and then started to design trouser buckles with a slight youth theme. Otherwise, I really think that they are no more than a commercial and then freely available trouser buckle, essentially available to anybody.

Will post some DJ images over the weekend.

Regards,

David